Friday 10 August 2012

Testing...

Since I am hoping to take a trip to Cornwall for a few days shortly I thought I would assemble and test out my portable station. The fine weather this evening provided the ideal opportunity.
First I dug out the Yaesu FT857, removing it from the shack an replacing it with this old Yaesu FT211 which is fine for 2 metre FM use.

Next I took out my 12 volt portable pack and set up the FT857, Buddistick antenna, MFJ tuner and my "new" mini CW key and set it all up in the back garden.

The Buddistick was set up on the lawn and tuned for 40 metres

After tuning around a very lively 40 metre band I tried listening on CW. I was rewarded by a QSO with G0NXA. I was running 25watts and got a 559 report, not bad for the tiny Buddistick with two radial wires laid on the lawn!
At least I know the setup is working, hopefully I will have time to use it when I am Away.

3 comments:

  1. I have done a lot of reading about the Buddy pole but have not really had the itch to get one myself. Do keep us updated with your Buddy pole adventure and your impressions of this antenna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regarding the smaller of the two power packs you have there - I have an almost identical power pack 12v 4.5hr rechargeable gel-cell that I too, recently discovered was no longer holding its charge - I was only holding 7.2 volts max running my FT817 for about 40 seconds before dying (I hoped it was'nt the charger section)anyway decided it was no longer servicable and replaced the BB battery with an alternative - I think it came to £23 and free shipping off an ebay store - it came fully charged and gives me 12.3v and I have already had it running for about 3 hours, plus having made several qso's and its still reading 12.2v so was well worth swapping - the pack is just about the right weight for carrying - certainly would'nt want it heavier.
    Also - waiting for a new Buddipole set-up here too, to get down on the beach - we're surrounded by salt water here on Hayling Island - should have great HF take-off.
    Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Guys,

    My antenna is a "Buddistick" effectively half a Buddipole which you use in a vertical configuration. It is of course very much a compromise but it packs down into a very compact package and is quick to set up.
    Peter it sounds like you had a good deal deal with that battery pack. I decided to rejuvenate mine because I couldnt see anything as compact available new. I reckon I should get a few hours out of mine if I crank the FT857 down to low power.

    73 Kevin

    ReplyDelete