Wednesday 2 October 2013

Computer problems




I have been beset by computer problems lately. Firstly the machine I operate my SDR receiver on crashed. No real problem, this is my main pc and the important stuff- files, pictures etc was backed up. I just did a reinstall of Windows 7 and all was well. Actually not quite. I can no longer operate my SDR receiver remotely. I think the problem relates to a port I need to open. Try as I might I cant get it to work. Even with the router and the PC firewalls off, nothing seems to do it. So for now I have given up on it, I just don't have the time to spend on the PC.

My other machine in the shack was running Windows Vista. For some reason this machine decided it didn't like working with the interface I use for PSK etc. This interface uses a USB connection to switch the PTT on the rig. I remember having one or two problems first  setting it up due to driver issues (It needs a cp 2102 USB to UART driver which looking at Google seems to cause problems for some.) but I had it up and running fairly quickly . Now try as I might I cannot get the machine to work with it. My other machine accepts the driver and recognises the interface fine, but that's no use as it is on the wrong side of the shack too far away from the radio!! So far I have spent a few hours on this problem but have got nowhere.
The hobby was a lot simpler before we used computers!!

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes the PC troubles....I just had an error code on my PC that I could not get rid of and had to re-format the hard drive. I use XP and have been very happy with it but having to instal everything over again is a real pain. I have always run into issue (like you have) with the fresh instal. BUT in the long run the machine is running faster and no more issues.......well not today...tomorrow with a PC is another whole new day.
    Hope you get it all sorted out without using of to much of your time.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete