Thursday 3 February 2011

First Step in CW

Fellow blogger and local Radio amateur MW0IAN drew my attention to a range of frequencies around 3570 on 80 metres where slow(ish) CW QSOs were to be found. I set up my TS830s this evening on that frequency and was monitoring when I heard a very strong station calling CQ. It was none other than MW0IAN himself! Well I had no excuse, he was sending at a speed I could read, nice clear CW and a strong signal. I had to reply. We had a short but enjoyable CW QSO, my first on that mode for over 20 years!
I felt it was a step in the right direction, I will be a little less nervous with my next contact on the key now that I have broken the ice so to speak
Pictured below is my CW station. Note the straight key- I need quite a bit more practice before I consider using the paddle.

Anyway thanks Ian for the contact, i don't suppose we broke any DX records- probably no more than 1km between us-but it certainly helped my CW progress.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Kevin, well done, best way to learn CW is just doing it on HF. Today I was training myself in using the straight key. I didn't use it for years, so I have to practise again. Good luck, 73 Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kevin,

    Using CW is great.
    When I started as a HAM I used homebrew, CW and QRP on 7 MHz. Just use CW and you will have much fun.
    GL in CW,
    37, Bert PA1B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kevin:
    As I have probably said before - CW is the only way to go, Digi is ok but I always have CW running here in the shack when I'm doing something, interestingly - that way you learn to "Read" it NOT write it ! it comes on in leaps and bounds, just keep at it.
    GL with it anyway 73 Peter

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ian,

    No problems. your CW was nice and clear so I wasn't struggling. I find after a while I seem to get more problems sending rather than receiving!

    73 Kevin

    ReplyDelete