Friday 28 January 2011

All change


I managed to find a space to reinstall the Trio/Kenwood TS830s on the Desk. Now all I need is a three way switch so I can switch my antenna between the three HF rigs. Whilst I was about it I moved the main PC further away from the radios. This has greatly reduced the QRM I was getting from that PC. The older PC which I use for PSK31 still generates some noise. In order to move that I will either need to get extension cables for the keyboard and mouse or maybe pick up a wireless mouse and keyboard set.

When I look at all the gear in the picture here it strikes me that the little Yaesu FT857D which you can see on top of my Yaesu FT1000MP could in fact do everything that all of the other gear could do, all in one tiny box. At present I just use the 857 on VHF. Perhaps I should clear the decks and use a minimalist shack based around the 857? :-)

4 comments:

  1. If you get a switch check the isolation of the unused ports. Antenna switches are designed to switch one rig to multiple antennas. Doing it the other way round 100W in one port could still result in a big voltage across the others unless they are effectively grounded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Kevin it sure does look like mission control.

    ReplyDelete