Tuesday 12 June 2012

Sad News


If you are  in any way interested in Shortwave listening you may already have seen or heard the news that the English service of Radio Netherlands is closing down at the end of this month.
This in itself is not that surprising, many international broadcasters have left shortwave, generally replacing their broadcasts with an internet based service.
The shock news here is that Radio Netherlands is also closing its English webstream. so no more Radio Netherlands via my internet radio. This is a real shame RN's programmes were high quality and very informative in fact they were easily the most listened to station on my Internet Radio. So maybe we are not just witnessing the demise of shortwave broadcasting but also international broadcasting via the web. It is puzzling as in the past such broadcasters have always maintained an internet presence, In any event I will miss Radio Netherlands!


4 comments:

  1. WOW...sad news indeed. I thought that I had solved the problem of being able to hear good quality programming by using the internet. Seems I'm wrong...

    I will miss them tremendously. They were one of my favorite stations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John and Kevin, yeah sad news indeed. All just because budget cuts by our government. All the money is drained to Greece, Spain and Portugal. An United Europa? I don't know really.

      Delete
  2. Here in the US; Public Radio is also under attack. In my opinion, it's the last good station here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Public radio was just about wiped out in the Reagan years. And the big broadcasters, owned by just a handful of companies make sure the FCC doesn't let in any community or other small-timers in anymore, either. We'll just all have to start our own pirate stations, hi hi.

      73,

      Casey, TI2/NA7U

      Delete